Half Mountain Feist / Half Hound pups

B. Tibbs

Sire is off my gentleman Jack dog and Grayson female . The mother of pups is half English and half walker. Pups are 7 weeks old , and I have them registered with the NSD , National Sporting dog registration. 300$ each . Pikeville Kentucky, (606)794-2678... call or text . Also have more pictures if someone wants more pictures 

F3D08D74-85FE-4B44-BC11-929B55C6D1FB.jpeg

62E6E747-D330-4D33-8C03-93BF5368B8A3.jpeg

Edited by B. Tibbs
1 hour ago, dswisher said:

Good looking pups! Have you ever done a hound/feist cross before? Is so how did they turn out? What size did they end up? I’ve got a buddy of mine that is considering trying a cross like that but neither of us have a clue what he should expect.

First hound cross I’ve tried . Im keeping this blue tick looking female to try for myself 

6E693188-C4FA-4BBF-9E38-1FB731C279DC.jpeg

Brad those are some good looking pups. My Rusty dog was 1/2 Feist x 1/4 Cur x 1/2 English Red Tick Con Hound and he was the best most natural accurate split treeing pup I have owned or hunted with. He was a 100% solid as a rock stay put treeing pup at 5 months old when Mr. Wayne Cagle raised and started him. Wayne gave him to me when he was 6 months old and I walk hunted him with two good older Feist females I owned, Old Daisy and her daughter Baby from the time he was 6 months old until he was 9 months old when our season ended. At that young age he split treed with one of those 2 females I was walk hunting him with 66 times that I found his squirrel he treed that I knocked out to him. He was a tree dog only, meaning if he saw a squirrel timber out of the tree he was treed up, he never left that tree he was treeing on period. If I did not find his squirrel that he had treed I had to either pick him up and carry him off the tree a good distance or I had to lead him off that tree a good distance or he would go back to that same tree and start treeing again. He was not going to leave that tree on his own after the treed period! He never barked a single bark on a squirrel track that he was working before he treed! When I heard him bark his first bark, I could call him treed every time!  I bred him to my Old Daisy female and he has helped reproduce some good stay put early treeing pups. I know you are a Feist man but I think you will like this pup when you are starting and training it. Good luck with it. Take care and have a great day. Thanks for sharing. Jerry

4 hours ago, dswisher said:

Good looking pups! Have you ever done a hound/feist cross before? Is so how did they turn out? What size did they end up? I’ve got a buddy of mine that is considering trying a cross like that but neither of us have a clue what he should expect.

Mr. Bevel Ragan started the Ragan Line of Feist off his smaller size Black-in-Tan Hound female that he Bear and Coon hunted over his male Feist he Bear. Coon, and Squirrel hunted. I bought 1 female pup off of that cross and it barked ever breath on a squirrel track just like she barked when she treed a squirrel. She would burn the woods up at a very early age when I first started hunting her. She was very gamy and she would run and bay a Hog as quick as she would tree a squirrel. I gave her to a friend of mine Mr. Lavan McDaniel and he gave her to his Nephew that lived down in S. Ga. During one morning solo walk hunt she bayed 3 Hogs and treed 15 squirrels for him. LOL I also bough a started female off Bevel that same day that did not bark a single bark on track period! She was one of the fastest, hardest hunting Feist I have ever owned or hunted with. She could and did get treed deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep quick! I was a lot younger at that time and she was still way way to much dogs for me to hunt in these hills of N. Ga. When anyone makes a first time cross like that, they do not have a clue what each one of those pups out of that first cross will do when they start training it. Each pup out of the litter may be totally different! Yes most if not all of them will normally tree but some will bark ever breath on a track and some will run any game they get after early in their life. A meat hunter line the man down in S. Ga. that ended up with the female I bought and started, loved her because he enjoyed Hog and Squirrel hunting with the same dog. Dogs like that needs hooked up with a hunter like that so both of them can enjoy hunting together. They are good dogs and they are doing what they were bred to do. Bevel Bear, Coon, and Squirrel hunt his Feist with his bigger size Hounds. Those bigger size Hounds dang sure could not out run them and they did not have anymore grit that his Feist does. They will pull the hair on a Bear and make it climb a tree. And they will bite the butt of a big Hog that they bay also. They are as quick as lighten moving around on the ground when you hunt them. As far as the size of pups you will get off a cross like that, is according to the size of the Hound and Feist you make the cross over. Big Hounds over bigger Feist, bigger pups when grown! Smaller Hound over smaller Feist you will get smaller size pups when grown. Mr. Jerry Arrington started his line of Riverun Feist with a bigger size Reg. Kemmer Cur female over his small 15lb Feist male JD. Off his first cross, all the litter of pups turned out to be bigger size dogs when grown. Females around 35+lbs and males 40+lbs! Yes they were early natural treeing pups but bigger in size! This info may or may not help you but I have owned and hunt pups/dogs off crosses like that. Take care and have a great day. Jerry

1 hour ago, Roper's Feist said:

Mr. Bevel Ragan started the Ragan Line of Feist off his smaller size Black-in-Tan Hound female that he Bear and Coon hunted over his male Feist he Bear. Coon, and Squirrel hunted. I bought 1 female pup off of that cross and it barked ever breath on a squirrel track just like she barked when she treed a squirrel. She would burn the woods up at a very early age when I first started hunting her. She was very gamy and she would run and bay a Hog as quick as she would tree a squirrel. I gave her to a friend of mine Mr. Lavan McDaniel and he gave her to his Nephew that lived down in S. Ga. During one morning solo walk hunt she bayed 3 Hogs and treed 15 squirrels for him. LOL I also bough a started female off Bevel that same day that did not bark a single bark on track period! She was one of the fastest, hardest hunting Feist I have ever owned or hunted with. She could and did get treed deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep quick! I was a lot younger at that time and she was still way way to much dogs for me to hunt in these hills of N. Ga. When anyone makes a first time cross like that, they do not have a clue what each one of those pups out of that first cross will do when they start training it. Each pup out of the litter may be totally different! Yes most if not all of them will normally tree but some will bark ever breath on a track and some will run any game they get after early in their life. A meat hunter line the man down in S. Ga. that ended up with the female I bought and started, loved her because he enjoyed Hog and Squirrel hunting with the same dog. Dogs like that needs hooked up with a hunter like that so both of them can enjoy hunting together. They are good dogs and they are doing what they were bred to do. Bevel Bear, Coon, and Squirrel hunt his Feist with his bigger size Hounds. Those bigger size Hounds dang sure could not out run them and they did not have anymore grit that his Feist does. They will pull the hair on a Bear and make it climb a tree. And they will bite the butt of a big Hog that they bay also. They are as quick as lighten moving around on the ground when you hunt them. As far as the size of pups you will get off a cross like that, is according to the size of the Hound and Feist you make the cross over. Big Hounds over bigger Feist, bigger pups when grown! Smaller Hound over smaller Feist you will get smaller size pups when grown. Mr. Jerry Arrington started his line of Riverun Feist with a bigger size Reg. Kemmer Cur female over his small 15lb Feist male JD. Off his first cross, all the litter of pups turned out to be bigger size dogs when grown. Females around 35+lbs and males 40+lbs! Yes they were early natural treeing pups but bigger in size! This info may or may not help you but I have owned and hunt pups/dogs off crosses like that. Take care and have a great day. Jerry

Thanks mr. roper! That’s the info I’m looking for. My buddy that I gave the male pup out of my litter to primarily bear hunts but has fallen in love with this feist and he’s been beating that idea around in his head, I didn’t have any good info to offer him on the idea. I told him it would have to be a well thought out cross with the right hound. I told him he would probably lose some nose power, and probably end up with smaller type dogs because his hounds are smaller. But he should keep some speed, grit, and add a lot of brains. He’s been breeding his own line of hounds for years and has tons more experience than I do with breeding. I believe I’d almost have to try one if he did make a cross.

• 4 weeks later...